Saturday, October 13, 2012

Grandpa's 90 Birthday Celebration

This past weekend I had the privilege of celebrating my grandpa's 90th birthday with my family. For the first time ever, the whole family was there: all of my grandparents' children, their spouses, and their grandchildren. Out of all the people I know, my grandparents are some of the ones that I respect the most.
They did trendy things before they were trendy. They got married young, but were older when they had children. They were entrepreneurs, at just age 20 and 24 they purchased their first business: a gas station and cafe. When it literally blew up in a gas explosion, they decided to go into education. They both have their master's degrees in teaching and Grandpa completed all the coursework for a Ph.D. Grandpa eventually became the Assistant Superintendent of a school district. Once he retired from that he got a job working for the EPA long before everyone was environmentally conscious. In spite of the fact that they made plenty of money, Grandpa rode the bus at 6:30 in the morning so he could get the discounted bus fare. However, the best legacy that my grandparents have left me is that they instilled a love of Jesus and a knowledge of the truth into their children and therefore their grandchildren. If my life is one tenth as influential as my grandfather's, it will have been far more than I could have ever hoped for. I am so glad that we had the opportunity to celebrate him. We had a wonderful celebration. We all got dressed up. Rode in a limmo. Went out to a nice brunch, and took family pictures. 




 










No comments:

Post a Comment