Saturday, August 18, 2012

Organized Jewelry

When we moved to California, I knew that our apartment would be tiny, its 450 square feet tiny, but my husband insisted we live on campus. It has actually worked out really well for us, especially since we are a 1 car family and it came furnished. My desire to buy furniture for an apartment in California is about zero since the goal is not to stay here, furniture seems permanent, like its a big commitment. So when we moved, I purposefully didn't bring very much jewelry with me. It all fit in a tiny box a purchased at the Mart of Walls. However, when it comes to jewelry, I am weak and my husband is generous, so pretty soon my little box was overflowing. Now my "jewelry box" looked like this:


and this: 

and this:


What!? You couldn't tell those were jewelry boxes? Yeah, me neither. It was bugging me for along time and since I am not working 60+ hours a week to finish a master's degree in 9 months anymore, I thought it was time to get to it. I bought a cork board, burlap, upholstery tacks, clear bulletin board tacks, and 3M command hooks and went to work. A few hours later, I now have a lovely place to store all my jewelry. 



I can't take credit for this brilliant idea. I stole it from the lovely Paige over at Simple Thoughts. Awhile ago she made one for herself, and more recently, her daughter made one. I really wish I could find the doorknobs her daughter used here, but we don't have a Hobby Lobby. Oh well, we don't have a drill either, so I guess it would be hard to attach them to the board anyway.  

I don't think I need anymore teal jewelry. Can you guess what my favorite color is?

I don't need more silver bracelets either.

Just cover the board with the burlap using the upholstery tacks around the edges. Hot glue the edges that stick out to the frame in the sides or back. Put the clear tacks into the board and hang jewelry and you are done.

Do you know what the best part of the project is? Look at all that room for new jewelry!



No comments:

Post a Comment