Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Peach Crisp

Ok, so this isn't healthy, but it certainly is delicious. Some people try to make dessert healthier by replacing sour cream with yogurt, using Slpenda or low-fat ingredients, or making healthy nut cookies. I don't believe in that business. If I want to eat healthy, I'll go eat a salad thank you very much. Healthy food is delicious. However, if I want dessert, I want DESSERT, not something parading around pretending to be desert. I feel the same about meat, but that is for another post. For about the last month peaches have been $.79/lb at the only market that I can stand. I hate grocery shopping. Thank goodness that my husband was kind enough to take over that chore after a year of marriage. Anyway, if summer peaches are available in your area, try this out, unless you are trying to stay away from sugar.

Prep time: 30-45 minutes depending on if you peel the peaches
cook time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Serves: 8

Ingredients:

Filling:
about 7-9 large peaches sliced into 8ths*
2-3 Tbs instant tapioca
1 Tbs lemon juice
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Topping
1/2 cup butter straight from the fridge
3/4 cup cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup oatmeal

*If you don't like skin on your peaches, you can boil them for 1 minute, put them in cold water and the skin should come off. I tried it with the last crisp I made and the skin would not come off, so I left it on. This didn't stop the entire crisp from being devoured when I brought it as dessert for a dinner party, so since I am a lazy cook, I think I will leave the skin on from now on.
This recipe has been modified from a family apple crisp recipe, I am too lazy to peel the apples too. I know that bugs you Kate. :-)
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Toss the filling ingredients in a bowl and place in a casserole dish, I used a 2 1/2 quart corningware dish, but a 9x13 works too. It should be about this full:


3. Put the sugar and flour into a food processor fitted with the "S" blade. Cut the butter into 1/2-1 Tbs chunks and place it in the food processor. Pulse until the butter is approximately pea-sized.

4. Add the oatmeal and pulse 2-3 more times, just to mix it in, but don't cut it up.
5. Sprinkle topping on peaches.
6. Bake for about 1 hour 15 minutes.

Note: This is not best right out of the oven, it is soupy and needs a few hours to set up. It is awesome served with vanilla ice cream. If you ask my husband, you should buy all natural ice cream, because it is well worth the extra price. We used to buy Breyer's, but then they changed their formula and the husband won't touch it anymore. Now we buy less, but much higher quality Ben and Jerry's. Kate, if you are wondering what to get Phil for a gift ever, you should buy him a Safeway gift card and tell him he can only spend it on Ben and Jerry's because he feels guilty spending that much on ice cream. 


2 comments:

  1. I think we are going to make this this weekend! Did you double the topping like we sometimes do for apple crisp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I multiplied the original topping quanitity by 1.5. I also added the 1/2 cup sugar over the peaches when I made it, but since peaches are much sweeter than apples, it was too sweet. Leave out the sugar sprinkling.

      Delete